Sudeley Castle Grounds near Winchcombe

on
Monday 20 November 2017



I decided to take a Tuesday off. There was no real reason for it really, just a whimsical fancy that I indulged. Unfortunately it was a pretty grey, dank day but I still went out for a wander. I wanted to go somewhere a little different, not just one of the usual haunts I go to when a quick dog walk is needed, so I ventured over the hill to Winchcombe to walk around the grounds near Sudeley Castle.







It’s a walk I’d done a handful of times before but not recently so it fit the “somewhere different” bill. I had the pup with me which always makes for a slightly different walk where I have to be on alert and training her the whole time as she has a few issues with her behaviour which we’re still working on. So it wasn’t my usual leisurely stroll, snapping away but I did still manage to get in a few pics. Luckily Luna pup has learnt that fighting against me whilst there’s something I want to snap is a futile game and she generally sits and waits very nicely. 



 We walked down the long sloping entrance driveway towards the castle and then around some of the surrounding fields. Apart from a few other walkers it was relatively quiet. The place had that off-season feeling where staff were probably inside winding down from the summer and prepping for the festival period ahead. We made our way along the edge of the castle passing the children’s play area to the right of us. Now when I say play area, I don’t mean a couple of swings and a slide, er no, this is a full on Mecca of wood and ropes galore and much more akin to an adventure playground. It looks fab and one summer eve I have the full intention of sneaking in there and having a little play.









Unfortunately the rest of the grounds had sheep grazing on them which made things a little difficult with a dog with hunting instincts in tow but we managed to go a little ways to take some photos of the front of the castle before heading back. There is something about the views around these grounds which I’ve always thought seemed very “English”. You know, like a typical English countryside scene, something you’d think of when you thought of picturesque postcards. It’s a lovely spot with quite a unique vibe to it that I always enjoy.