Flowers Aplenty - Visiting JW Blooms Flower Field, Somerset

on
Sunday 18 August 2019
One of the things that I love about Instagram is the way that it connects you with things, be it people, places or just inspiration in general. I can’t quite remember how exactly it came about that I started following Jan from JW Blooms or she started following me but it was something along the lines of one of us commented on a post about flowers, then I had a look at Jan’s profile and discovered that she owned a flower field/cut flower nursery in Somerset. 

As ‘visit as many flowery places as possible’ has been on my to-do list for the past couple of years I’m always eager to find new floral delights to explore. I book marked JW Blooms flower field and made a mental note to look up where it was at some point. And then months went by and I completely forgot about it, as often happens in life. Then when one of Jan’s pictures popped up in my field depicting idyllic scenes of pretty blooms is re-sparked my interest. A quick google later and I discovered that the flower field was actually halfway between my Mum and my Sister’s place so now there really was no excuse not to visit. It took a few trips down to see family before the timing and weather conditions all fell in to place but one mid-August day a friend and I went to investigate just what JW Blooms had to offer.



As you drive in through the entrance way and up the driveway to the flower field it feels a little like you’ve gone through a portal into a different land. There’s this sense a serenity and calm right from the moment you arrive. 
 
The site itself is quite small and we managed to walk around, albeit slowing in about forty minutes. Don’t be fooled though, there’s a lot of blooming goodness jammed in there - traditional British flowers, cottage gardens goodies and wildflowers aplenty. We were actually a little late in the season and seeing things just past there prime but there was still plenty to behold along the avenues of flower beds. 



It’s important to note that this is a working flower field and there is evidence of that scattered all about - wheel barrows and buckets, plant pots and hose pipes. But rather than detract from the beauty of the place, it gives it an extra sprinkle of ‘old worldy’ charm. In fact, one of the reasons I love visiting places like these so much is due to that feeling of being transported back in time to when things seemed simpler, even if for just an hour or two.

Now, I need to inject a little note here about the cafe. Honestly, when we first pulled up we were so distracted by the cakes on display that we almost make our way to have a refreshment break before we even began but we dug into those reserves of self control and waited until after we’d wandered around. The cakes are supplied by Dainty Bakes and should you be lucky enough to sample one you’re in for a treat! The cakes using edible flowers from the field were a very nice touch. 




I’m really glad that I finally managed to get around to visiting Jan’s flower field. It’s a charming little place which feels a bit like a well kept secret that I was privileged to experience. I reckon next years garden plans may involve sacrificing one of the raised beds to plant full of cut flowers instead of veggies and I’m sure it will be absolutely worth it!


If you’re thinking of visiting JW Blooms:

Location: Cox's Lane, Hillcommon, Somerset, TA4 1DU

Links and socials: www.jwblooms.co.uk, or Jan is at @jw_blooms on Instagram, go give her a follow

Opening times: The flower field is open to the public from March to October. The cafe is open on Sundays in the summer from 10am-4pm.

Cost: It’s free to visit but it’s worth bringing some pennies for cake and flowers ;-)

A bit more info: Bouquets (and other plants) are available to buy daily and can be made to order for weddings etc. They also run courses throughout the year on things like planning a cutting garden and making a bouquet.

In the area: Hestercombe Gardens is about 20 mins away and definitely worth a visit, it’s one of my favourite places! Both the Quantock Hills (AONB) and Blackdown hills are nearby with plenty of walking routes to enjoy. And if you’re a National Trust Member Barrington Court and Killerton House aren’t too far away either.