A Halloween walk around Snowshill Village

on
Tuesday 31 October 2017



Sometimes things just don’t go to plan do they? My original idea for today was to take a little lunchtime jolly up to Snowshill Manor, a National Trust property in the Cotswolds. They have really lovely fairytale gardens and I wanted to take a last wander round before all of the flowers were gone. But when I got there I was greeted by a sign saying “Closed today”. Cue sad harp strong music. Oddly enough though a little bit of me was relieved because actually, as I’d driven towards the Manor the idea had popped into my head to have a wander round the pretty little village of Snowshill afterwards to take a few piccies but I wasn’t going to have enough time. So there we go, lemons out of lemonade. I got to wander round the village which turned out to be even more fun… you’ll see why.



Even at this time of year and on a dreary day there was still quite a few clusters of tourists ambling about, taking in the picturesque little place, snapping away much like myself. There is no denying that it is an idyllic little spot and I’m quite sure that it must have been used as a film or TV set at some point. The hazy weather and smoke in the air from a nearby bonfire gave the place a wonderfully atmospheric feel. For sure it would be a super spot for trick or treaters later on.




I had a little wander round, marvelling at the quintessential features like the red telephone box, village hall and church. Heck, there was even a couple of vintage cars pulled up outside the pub.



















Now when I had originally driven down to the free car park on the outskirts of the village I had spotted some huge fake cobwebs spayed onto bushes in the front gardens of the houses. Nothing to be alarmed about, it was Halloween after all. But what I hadn’t somehow seen was a awesome Halloween spectacle just waiting to scare any unsuspecting souls as the walked by. I wondered just how many people had come just to see this sight. I imagine it had ended up on quite a few Instagram feeds! 


As I was standing there admiring the scene I was joined by a couple of fellows and their cameras who too thought it was an impressive effort. They were such lovely chaps, talking to me easily about cameras and other places nearby to visit. (Broadway Tower is now on the list with high recommendations for their cafe - marvellous.) I love moments like that, it’s one of the plus points of the fact that there are zillions of photographer enthusiasts these days. It’s a bit like the social side of having a dog and meeting other dog owners. You spot someone sporting a camera strap around their neck and it’s an ice breaker. A common interest I guess, something to chat about. 













I was only there for about forty minutes but I thoroughly enjoyed my little stroll around Snowshill village. I’ll be heading back for sure, most likely in the Spring to visit the Manor, the nearby Lavender Farm (an absolute must see) and the village once more.